About Me

I'm just an average person doing what I can.

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Dream 12/14/09

It started in my old dorm with a few of my floormates, my current boss and a few people I haven't met. Three of my friends had cats... two of them kittens and the other a full grown cat. I reached out to pet the full grown cat only to have it hiss and scamper away from me. Odd, for a cat. I let it go. We were celebrating something or another.... or maybe just fooling around (my friends, my boss, strangers and I). Anyway, a few of us walked into a next room (I think we were in my friend Kimmie's)... and on pieces of paper were written the names of our group - one name for each paper... which we then taped to the back of each other's heads so that we each didn't know which person we had. I ended up with a stranger I didn't know. You found your person by method of rejection... going from person to person... if the person accepted you, it was their name you had... so you really had two partners... one that had you and one that you had. Anyway, this part was largely unimportant... just an ice breaker to get things rolling.

Then the games began. I know that a hill was involved.. I think we ran down it. We hiked to a place I've never been, a place that doesn't even geographically belong on campus or even near here, to be honest. We'd taken off the pieces of paper at the building. Our first mission was to jump off the dock into the disgusting water below... and swim... and then "climb up". No other instructions. We started around the same time, though I was confused, swim poorly and couldn't see the others. I swam for what seemed like hours and then found stairs where I could climb up. They led to a building. I was confused, but followed the path... there were other people walking up the stairs in the building and I followed them. I went into a classroom. I didn't know if I should.

But the other members of my group were there. I felt late. I sat down. There were numbers and symbols on the blackboard... complex math, I assumed, though I could not understand. Someone flipped on a VHS and we watched. The video showed the careful cutting of what looked to be frozen nitrogen and the careful insertion of it into a metal tube that had been cut just enough for the nitrogen to fit. I didn't understand. At first, I was afraid we would be asked to recreate what was on the video, but we were given pieces of clay instead. There were different colors to choose from, but I chose two. I was going to recreate the device from the video, but I couldn't make my hands form the right shapes. And then I tried to make something else, but again... my dexterity was not enough to create adequate shapes. Everyone else in the class finished and the teacher called time. I set my clay down, only to find that it was a really creative and detailed clown face. With five different colors. The person next to me reached over and pressed into the clown's face... coming up with the eyes, nose and mouth. I whined to the teacher and they said to put the pieces back. The person put it back... but funny... like a Picasso painting.

When that class was over, we moved downstairs and attended a lecture. Two lectures, really. There were two classrooms. One was very large and housed most of the student body in attendance, the other was a room with 10 - 20 scientists and professors. In the student room, they had the actual guest while the teachers only had a TV with a broadcast of the students' lecture. I went to the student one for a while and then gave it up for the one next door. The lecturer was James T. Kirk and he was talking about the benefits of space travel and all that he has encountered. The students were there to absorb information. The scientists/professors were there to debunk him. At the end of the lecture, someone passed out papers to the professors/scientists that they had apparently written within the first few weeks of school. They gave one to me and one of the others protested, saying it wasn't mine. I nodded. They asked what I was doing in the class. I couldn't answer. They took the paper from me.

And then I went back down to the water... to go home... and htne I woke up.

No comments: